Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone.
- Dead Poet's Society

Friday, December 1, 2017

Because that's what heroes do

I recently went to the movie theater. 
Gasp! 
That means I've seen a film, on the big screen, for the third time this year. 
That's a pretty deal, for me.
The movie was the classic superhero film, not too much surprise there.
It was entertaining, equal parts hilarious and serious all wrapped up nicely before the credits start rolling. 
There was one quote that stuck out, however, in the midst of  explosions and chaos signaling the world was about to meet its end. 
The main character, a brawny, golden-haired demigod, passionately explains why he is going to risk everything for the sake of humanity: 

"I choose to run towards my problems, and not away from them. Because that's what heroes do." 

Because…that's what heroes do. 

It's not the explanation I would have given, I don't think. 
I might have said something along the lines of - "Gosh. I'm busy. I'll just...pretend the world's not going to end. Yes. That'll work."

It's not that I don't have problems. Ha! That's a laugh.
It's just that I don't like admitting them. 
I like them to be nice and out of sight. 
They exist, but not for others to see.
I do not automatically face them or even try to embrace them. 
Problems are messy.
Problems are complicated.
Problems are no fun, sir.

But, a hero, or heroine, if you like, runs toward them.
Madness?
Perhaps.
Inanity?
Likely.
Or the action that separates the heroes from the non-heroic?
Most assuredly.

Heroes choose to fess up. They admit they're wrong and they want to make it right.
Heroes don't shove issues under the carpet, shamefully hiding from the truth.
Heroes are truly heroes when they admit they've messed up. And they humbly ask for grace. 
Heroes are the stuff of legend and myth because that attitude isn't cool anymore, is it? I
n these days of blame-shifting and shame-giving, heroes do not emerge to take responsibility for their actions or reactions. 
Heroes say "I'm sorry. How can this be remedied?" In this willingness to ask for forgiveness, they make it obvious that theirs is a journey toward becoming better. And saving the world.
I want to be like that. 
Let's be heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment